Sunday, April 26, 2009

Lesson Learned



I spent a long day yesterday at the Raleigh Flea Market.

Lesson : Choose your venue wisely!

I was told by a number of local people that the Raleigh Flea Market would be a great place for me to sell my pendants. I decided to go there and see how it would work out. I have never been there before just to shop around so I really had no idea what kinda stuff was being sold and at what prices ranges.
That was a big mistake!
In the future I will definitely go to a venue first as a shopper before getting up at 4:00 am to be able to be a vendor. The customers were not looking for hand made unique items at all. They were all looking for something dirt cheep. I can understand that, but after all the hard work making something, I wasn't ready to lower my prices. I did get some nice comments and I made sure a bunch of people took my card but I had ZERO sales. That is disappointing after working so hard all day.
The booth wasn't too expensive so the financial loss wasn't that bad but in the future I am going to make sure that the venues I choose are the perfect fit for me.


On a good note:
I think all the cards did do me some good! I had more visitors to my Etsy yesterday than normal.

Have a great week!

Kate






No comments: